Monday, 29 May 2017


A traditional ruler, otherwise known as ‘Baale,’ has been arrested by policemen trying to rescue the six abducted students of Lagos State Model College, Igbonla, Epe.

The Baale was said to have been arrested while coming out from the creeks after supplying food to the militants who were holed up in the waters.

According to a security source, the Baale has been handed over to the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni. The number one policeman in the state is quizzing the suspect himself.

The arrest of the Baale has infuriated the leader of the militants, identified as America, leading to his reeling out several threats.

Incidentally, it was America that led the abduction of eight from the Nigerian Turkish International College (NTIC) in January this year. He’s also suspected to be the brain behind the abduction of six students from Model College, Epe.

Spitting fire, America was said to have alerted the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), in charge of Epe Police Station, to get ready, that he and his men were coming to attack the station soonest.

A police source: “Whenever any of their members is arrested, they’ll know. It’s because of the arrest of the Baale that the militants called the DPO Epe; they said they would be coming to wipe out his station. It’s believed that Ijaw policemen, Ijaw soldiers and Navy are working with these militants. They are the bad eggs that communicate every move and strategy to the militants. This is part of the reason it’s hard to stop check the militants.”

Meanwhile intelligence report says that the same America is planning to carry out a bank raid this week.

“According to Intelligence report, America and his men are planning to attack a bank. They have already picked the bank. They are likely to strike this week,” said a source.

On Friday, there was a protracted gun battle between militant kidnappers and policemen. The militants were alleged to have injured seven policemen, including SO (Station Officer) in charge of Marine Police. The Marine Policemen, who first engaged the militants in the gun duel, were able to injure many and also sank two gun boats of the militants. The militants fled, only to return with overwhelming number of re-enforcement. They doubled crossed the marine policemen from different angles and attacked them, leading to the seven wounded policemen.

The marine policemen were later supported by teams of policemen from the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State and Anti-kidnapping.

Some policemen, who partook in the gun battle, have described it as mother of all battle.
This was even as they recounted that the battle witnessed their guns running out of ammunition, while those of the militants were still smoking.

A source said: “It was a bloody day. The militants used their gunboats to block Epe River. Nobody was allowed to pass. They stationed three gun boats, in three strategic places. Nobody dared to go closer to them.  Policemen were looking at the militants and they were looking at the policemen. The militants were in full camouflage. They tied red bands on their forehead. They were dancing, jubilating and making mockery of the policemen. They repeatedly beckoned at the policemen to come forward if they could. In the heat of the attack, marine police called its Ogun State counterpart; they said they didn’t have ammunition. I heard Navy was called, but they didn’t come. Soldiers came, but left while gun battling was still on. They said since it was on water, there was nothing they could do.

“The SO Marine was seriously injured. All injured policemen are attached to marine. Marine police took the militants unaware on Friday, injuring and probably killing many. The battle was on top of water. Marine police used two gun boats, while militants brought three gun boats. Marine police sank two of the militants’ gun battle before they returned with re-enforcement. The militants were too many and well-armed. They robbed private canoes and passengers.


No comments: