Adblada

Friday 6 December 2013

NELSON MANDELA: WORLD LEADERS PAID TRIBUTE

President Jacob Zuma said: "Our nation has lost its greatest son. Our people have lost a father.

The Queen said she is "deeply saddened by Mandela's death".


President Obama said: "I am one of the countless millions who drew inspiration from Nelson Mandela's life. My very first political action, the first thing I ever did that involved an issue or a policy or politics, was a protest against apartheid. I studied his words and his writings. The day that he was released from prison gave me a sense of what human beings can do when they're guided by their hopes and not by their fears. And like so many around the globe, I cannot fully imagine my own life without the example that Nelson Mandela set, and so long as I live I will do what I can to learn from him.
"To Graça Machel and his family, Michelle and I extend our deepest sympathy and gratitude for sharing this extraordinary man with us. His life's work meant long days away from those who loved him the most. And I only hope that the time spent with him these last few weeks brought peace and comfort to his family"
"For now, let us pause and give thanks for the fact that Nelson Mandela lived - a man who took history in his hands, and bent the arc of the moral universe toward justice. May God bless his memory and keep him in peace."

Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge, who attended the Royal premiere of the new Nelson Mandela film, Long Walk To Freedom, in London this evening, is quoted by the BBC as saying: "It is extremely sad and tragic news."

UK Labour Leader Ed Miliband Tweeted: "Deep condolences to Graca Machel, his family and friends and to all the people of South Africa. The world has lost the global hero of our age. Nelson Mandela showed us the true meaning of courage, hope, and reconciliation."

UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon said: "Only because of such a great man like Nelson Mandela is it possible that particular people in Africa and elsewhere are able to enjoy freedom and human dignity. We have to learn the wisdom and determinations and commitment of Mr Mandela to make this world better for all."

Former US President Bill Clinton said: "History will remember Nelson Mandela as a champion for human dignity and freedom, for peace and reconciliation."

F.W. De Klerk, former South African President, said: "I think Nelson Mandela's legacy is 'don't be bitter about the past - take the hands also of your former enemies'. Peace is the best way forward and in order to have lasting peace you need to have reconsideration, there needs to be also forgiveness. I liked him and I immediately felt that this is truly a man of greatness."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said: "He was the father of his people, a man of vision, a freedom fighter who rejected violence."


No comments: