Adblada

Wednesday 3 September 2014

I TRIED TO HEAL RELATIONSHIPS....TSEMA KAYOH

Delectable Fragrance Tsema Kayoh, artist, model and actress hit the music scene with her unique, mellow sultry voice. The Delta State-born bundle of talent spoke about her burgeoning music career and other sundry issues.

HOW DID YOU GET INTO THE WORLD OF MUSIC?
Is there a world without music? (laughing) If you meant doing this professionally, I guess it was when I took the bold step to leave my comfort zone at home in Warri, Nigeria and came to the music capital of Nigeria which is Lagos. Gordons, the comedian gave I and a friend Ena Ofugara’s number. He was the manager at a record company and I got signed and released my début album SO LOVELY within six months of the meeting. That was sometime in 2006

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY HAS WORKED FOR YOU SINCE YOU GOT INTO MUSIC?
Tenacity. Persistence. perseverance, resilience, focus and faith in me and my mission. Talent isn’t even half the journey. Persistence and a never say die spirit is what I will say has gotten me this far (aside God of course) If you know the distance from where I live to my favourite producer’s place (Bayo Cean Joseph) you will understand what I am saying. And then I didn’t even have a car. Sometimes I had to take public transport as in buses with market women going to Iju in Lagos. I did not say “I have no money for taxi so I am not going to Bjay’s studio today” I get up and move nevertheless.
WHAT GIVES YOU STRENGTH AS A MUSICIAN?
God. It has to be God on this one. The challenges are plethora and you feel like giving up. God immediately infuses me with spiritual glucose and I have all the strength I need. (Laughs) Plus I watch a Beyonce Video or top rated performance and I say “Fragrance, get up. You can be like that pretty talented singer right there. She too cannot be having it as easy as it seems”

DON’T YOU THINK THAT MIGHT SOON GET INTO YOUR HEAD?
To my head as in success? If you have recorded in the same studio with 2Face Idibia and seen how humble that legend is, you will learn to be humble. The only thing that gets into this head is good advice from people who know and wish me well.

.
ANY MESSAGE BEHIND THAT?
My message has always been about love. In WE BE ONE, I tried to heal relationships with lines like “Me and you be one as long as there is love, affection and trust nothing can separate the two of us” in Now And Forever I had lines like “cos when I look into the future, all I see is you and me, that’s why I want to paint this picture, just to show it is signed and sealed.” In Yahweh and Oritse Mi. I sang about God’s love. So i will say my message is love.

WHAT IS YOUR GOAL AS A MUSICIAN?
Entertain and spread a message of lasting love which is why my album is titled NOW AND FOREVER. Of course it is showbiz so I intend to get paid while doing this of course as well as touch as many people as I can in positive ways.

No comments: