Adblada

Sunday 15 February 2015

JONATHAN IS BUHARI- PHOBIA....OBASANJO

Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, on Thursday, while publicly presenting his latest book, ‘My Watch’, in London, told his audience that the certificate issue against General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), APC presidential candidate in the forthcoming general elections, was a ploy by Jonathan’s men to stop Buhari in the election. Now at home, he attacked the President, yesterday, accusing him of a hidden agenda over the 2015 polls. Excerpt below…

“I believe the President’s   concern of fear is not to live out of office per se, because he and I have occasions to talk about this both seriously and jovially. I believe the President would want an opportunity to disengage peacefully and have a nice, decent and a glorious exit, I believe the President’s   fear is, particularly, motivated by the person he sees as his likely successor, that is General Buhari.

“I believe people would have been telling him that Buhari is a hard man, he would fight corruption and you may end up in jail if not in grave. I believe people must have told him all sorts of things and he is not the only one, there are other people who may be afraid of Buhari, but, why? I would say that Buhari has learnt lessons; if he hasn’t   learnt lessons, then he would be probably be the   most unlearning human being.

“If he has learnt lessons, he would know that you do not fight corruption by putting people in jail for 200 years and this has been done by my   own predecessor in office, General Abdulsalam Abubakar; he recovered over $750 million from Abacha’s estate without putting anybody in jail, without hurting or harming anybody. When I took over, we recovered over $1.25 billion from the same Abacha estate without hurting anybody, without harming anybody and, in fact, what would be rather unfortunate is the fact that our lawyer, who is still alive, able, who was chasing this money all over the world, said to us that there’s still about $1 billion to be recovered from Abacha   estate but the unfortunate thing is that my successor   did not do anything about it even though it was in my handing over note”.
While speaking on the role of the Security Chiefs on the postponement of the elections, Obasanjo said:

“That is what I said; it was strange to me; it wasn’t the duty and responsibility of Security Chiefs and Service Chiefs to tell INEC, ‘we are not in the position to provide security for you’ because it is their job. When they have failed, they can as well go home, their job is to maintain law and order and provide security at any time, at any place, they said they could not do it, they have failed”.
On the Boko Haram insurgency as excuse for the elections postponement,   the former President said,

“You can give any excuse or you can  rationalise anything. Boko Haram has been with us since 2009 and now if we said what we have not been able to achieve since 2009 would be achieved in six weeks, all I would say is that God is a God of miracle. God can do anything”.

On the alleged plot to remove the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Attahiru Jega, Obasanjo said: “I think the President, in his media chat, has dispelled that rumour but, of course, I know the President very well, but I want to believe him and believe what I see not what I hear”.

“I believe that after Jega has been   boxed to a corner, he had no choice but to accept the fait accompli and postponed the election.  And I believe that like I have said before, it is unfortunate because in the past, this same Jega had changed the date of election when he found it that it was not suitable. So it is the duty, responsibility, function and jurisdiction of INEC to determine whether the situation allows or does not allow them to go on with the election. Nobody should either twist their arms, blackmail them or force them”.


Obasanjo added: “I appeal to President Jonathan again not to listen to those creating phobia, phobia of Buhari, phobia of enquiry and all that. President Jonathan has done well to the best of his ability and he has made history as the first elected Nigerian from a minority tribe and nobody can take that away from him.  He can even make a second history; if it turns out that way, if he contests a fair, free and transparent election and if he loses, she should have a dignified decent and a dignified exit. He will be on the mountain top and he would be acclaimed as a true patriot and a true democrat. What stops him from doing this?”
- See more atVANGUARD

No comments: