Adblada

Wednesday 27 January 2016

MY LOVE TO SSP IS UNCONDITIONAL-SAMMIE PETERS



Sammie Peters, wife of talented Juju maestro Sir Shina Peters (SSP), opened up on her love life with SSP whom she often refers as ‘Olu mi’. Enjoy it.

 “We actually met in 1981 in Lagos, we lived in the same neighborhood and it was love at first sight. He was a very young and intelligent man but very ambitious towards his career. One thing I love about him was his soft hand; he had a very soft palm and a dashing smile that could arrest the most hardened soul. And we did our white wedding in 1995”.

“I can say my husband was the first musician in his generation to do a legal marriage at that material time; so every other person followed. Yes, at least I can say he belt the cat by being the first among equal to marry a woman legally. Then and even up till now, musicians don’t like to settle down but in Shina’s case, I think he had a sense of gratitude for me because he saw how patience I was then.”

“Yes, you could say that it was unbelievable that we legalized our marriage after such a long time. It was as a result of trust, we dated for many years and I was able to understudy him. I got to know his chemistry. But what I want to let out here is that in any marriage, one need a good level of understanding and what I call unconditional love. If you care to know the chemistry of your man, the truth will set you free from all emotional impediments. No man, I tell you, that does not like adventure. If you are a woman and you say “oh, my husband is not doing this or cannot do this and that”, you are just deceiving yourself. Majority of men have this tendency to cheat, you get my point? But the fact remains that, you have to just love him unconditionally, forgive him at all times and always welcome him back home and move on with your life, that is one strategy that has worked for me over the years”.

That is my philosophy about love. I believe in unconditional love. If you love him, you love him. I can’t say I won’t love my husband and not tolerate his shortfalls and if that should be the case I must also tolerate his shortcomings because I chose to marry him in the first place.  I will rather share my husband than lose him out rightly. I am still on that point.When you say “I will not take this, I will not take that”, you end up losing your husband.

“Well, I will go back to love again. Why I say love is that when you love someone, you are not looking at perfection. That is my own definition of love. There is no perfect individual, when you love someone, you love him unconditionally, no reason attached. I love my husband unconditionally, so everything about him thrills me. When he is at home, when he is working, when he is laughing; everything about him thrills me. So, I think that is the secret of my patience, of my endurance. I am able to take everything because I love him dearly and I don’t want to lose him”.


SSP is a very wonderful husband. He never shies away from his responsibilities. He does not leave me with everything, he does not allow me carry the whole load at the home front, and he equally contributes his own quota.  He is just too generous, we are best of friends. We gist about everything, we laugh, we talk. Even our children used to ask us, what do you guys always talk about that you are always laughing.

I can tell you that we have our moments of quarrels too.

“My theory for modern relationships…If you want to succeed in your marriage as a celebrity or even an underdog, number one, don’t nag on a man. There is no point in finding fault in a man or nagging about his actions every day. Something he did yesterday, you are still nagging about it today and you won’t even forget it tomorrow.


Since we married, it is still fresh like yesterday in our mind. It is still as fresh as we met. I cherish the memory of that event in my life”.



No comments: