Adblada

Wednesday 27 January 2016

MY MUM INSPIRES ME TO THINK ABOUT ENTREPRENEURSHIP AS A WAY OF LIVELIHOOD-CHARLOTTE



Brained and beautiful Charlotte Magayi, 21, CEO, Harmys, is a personal shopper that runs a successful body-wear business in Nairobi. Her story is a source inspiration to young African ladies and guys alike. Thou she is not from a wealthy family, but she is very determined to succeed. Ms Magayi is pursuing a business administration course at Kenyatta University as she builds her business .Alas! This is her story…

What’s your business all about?
I wear two hats. First I am a personal shopper. Personal shopping entails sourcing products that clients need on their behalf. The products may include suits, dresses, shoes and so on. I am also a business lady with fashion stalls and shops located in various places in Nairobi, with the main one being at Adams Arcade on Ngong Road.

Harmys is a unique name. Why did you choose this name and is it working for you?
The name has an emotional attachment because it’s my daughter's. Her full name is Harmony but we call her Harmy hence the name Harmys. Besides, it is a stylish name that ties in well with the business I do.
When and how did you start up in terms of raising capital or acquiring initial stock?
During the Christmas festivities of 2011 I went town to shop for my daughter, and bought myself a dress too, but I did not have time to fit my dresses. So when I got home hers were just fine but mine were oversize. While thinking of what to do, a neighbour came in, saw the clothes and fell in love with them. She insisted on buying them and I sold them to her at a profit. Word spread round the neighbourhood and everyone wanted a dress from me. I went back to get more dresses and made a considerable amount that Christmas. In January 2012 I met this lady who was travelling abroad and was, therefore, selling her shop and stock at a throw away price. I got a soft loan of Sh100,000 from my sister and bought the stock and shop from her. I was in business.

Who is target market and what makes it unique from others?
My target market is the middle income earner in Nairobi who wants to look stylish and decent without breaking the bank. The mix of my personal shopping skills and wide network affords me just the right amount of clients. The business has grown overtime and I have been able to master the trade. I have employed four people to help me meet growing demand. My stock is now worth over Sh700,000.

How do you market the business?
My business is mostly through referrals so I use emails and Whatsapp to reach out to clients.

What inspired you to get into this particular business?
My mom was a business woman selling groceries. Though she died when I was only 10, she inspired me to think deeply about entrepreneurship and business as a way of livelihood. Growing up, I would always buy and sell items to schoolmates and friends. The good margins I got from selling clothes made me stick to it.

What are the future plans in terms of expansion or growing the business?
I want to train more people on personal shopping so I can expand that side of my business since majority of Kenyans have started embracing personal shopping. I want to open more outlets in major towns like Mombasa and Kisumu.

Does being a lady help you in any way in succeeding in this business?
Yes, being a lady helps because I have soft skills that are prerequisite in this business and which come naturally for me. Clients can at times be very stubborn and indecisive and being a mother my patience does not run out too quickly so I am able to close the sale and maintain the client.
What advice do you have for those aspiring to join the body and footwear business?
Do what you are passionate about and enjoy your work. This will help you go through the difficult times in business.


ADDITIONAL SOURCE

No comments: