Adblada

Saturday 7 March 2015

IS EITHER CANNABIS BUSINESS OR WE DIE OF HUNGER...SUSPECTS

Two suspects, Raji Kabir, 22, and Yusuf Bako, 19, were arrested by Officers of the Lagos State Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in different areas of the Lagos metropolis for selling cannabis, otherwise known as ‘Indian hemp’.

Kabir  in his own words said : “I was introduced into cannabis smoking by friends. Later, I began to sell cannabis at Agege and I used to make a profit of N2000 daily. I’ve stopped selling hemp about three times, but I kept going back to the business because I have no money to sustain myself.”

Bako’s story is not different from that of Kabir.
 He noted: “After my primary school in Lagos, I enrolled as an apprentice in an electrical workshop since I could not further my education. My friends introduced me to cannabis smoking. I began to sell about a year ago in order to sustain myself. Any day I didn’t go to work, I’ll go and sell hemp. I used to earn N1, 200 daily.”

According to NDLEA spokesman, Mitchel Ofoyeju, the seizures were made during raid operation conducted within Lagos.

Ofoyeju said that the first consignment of the drug, weighing 658.8 kilogrammes believed to have been imported from Ghana, was detected at Alaba Rago area of Lagos.
He added: “The team also discovered another 151.3 kilogrammes at Agege area of the State where the two suspected drug dealers were apprehended.”

The NDLEA Lagos State Commander, Mr. Aliyu Sule who confirmed the raid operation, said that it was based on intelligence report.

Sule further said: “Acting on intelligence report, we raided the water front at Alaba Rago area where we found compressed dried weeds that tested positive for cannabis. The team also raided Kasamu Street in Agege where 151.3 kilogrammes of cannabis was found hidden in the ceiling. Both seizures weighed 810.1 kilogrammes. Kabir and Bako were arrested during the operation. They are cooperating with our team of investigators.”

NDLEA Chairman, Ahmadu Giade has directed the commanders to intensify surveillance along the water ways. He said: “I have directed commanders to intensify maritime surveillance to prevent drugs from being smuggled into the country through the water. We are also working very hard to identify other members of the drug cartels. I can assure you that we will not relent in our offensive against drug cartels.”

 The NDLEA boss also called on parents to monitor their children adding that good parental care will go a long way in preventing drug trafficking and abuse.



No comments: