Adblada

Friday 18 September 2015

MUSIC: KOREDE BELLO'S 'GOD WIN' IS THE FAVORITES OF DJS' IN NIGERIA

The favorites’ of disc-jockeys and a sure hit with night clubs in Nigeria and most of African countries is Korede Bello’s hit song, ‘God Win’. Korede says, “When I was recording the song, it occurred to me that the most active phrase was ‘God Win’. It was present in every line in the song. Besides, I felt that the phrase itself carried a lot of weight and it contained a powerful message that I should share with my fans. So I it was only natural to title it ‘God Win’.”

Korede also felt that ‘God Win’ was a prophetic statement – perhaps designed to artfully manipulate the emotions of the audience,  the fast-rising artiste says that ‘God Win’ is not a gospel song. “I’d say that the song is a testimony of the collective experience of the people around me, not necessarily my personal testimony. It is about the life of the average Nigerian and the challenges that he or she faces every day.

“Also the song, in a way, sums up the aspirations of many people who wish for a break from poverty and disease. Some are getting married everyday and prospering in different ways. We are all grateful to God for the changes in our lives. It is this general feeling of gratitude for God’s little mercies that this song expresses,” he says.

Admitting that the journey from total obscurity to the limelight, which started about five years ago, has not been very smooth, he says, “Let me assure you that unlike some artistes, I did not just come into show business by accident. Before getting to where I am now, I have had my fair share of challenges. For example, ‘God Win’ is not my first album. I had recorded a couple of singles that failed to make an impact in the market before I recorded ‘God win’. It was titled ‘I love Naija’. Although some of the songs in that album, which was released in 2010, did manage to get some attention from the media, they were not successful.”


At Mavin Records, life has assumed a beautiful dimension for Korede. “We are one strong and united family. We all love one another and, beyond being a musical family, we give support to one another at all times,” he says.

Still relishing the success of his last performance in London, courtesy of comedian Julius Agwu, the singer would give anything to repeat the trip, his first major trip since the inception of his career, no doubt. The sheer size of the crowd that had turned up to watch him play on that day showed just how much he is appreciated by music fans in the United Kingdom.

“The ladies, in particular, showed me love in London,” he says.

Unlike some of his contemporaries in the music industry, he has been fortunate enough to enjoy the backing of his immediate family. He says that they never questioned his preference for music as a career instead of other professions because they wanted the best for him. It probably explains why his career has flourished within a short period of time and why he appears to be so cool and confident all the time.

“Na God win,” he says, in Pidgin English.


          

No comments: