Adblada

Thursday 24 April 2014

FEMI KUTI : WHY I SAT NEXT TO MY EX @ FEMI SEGUN'S BURIAL

Femi Kuti needs no introduction at all. He is the first son of Afro beat king, Fela Kuti. In his recent interview, he opened up on his ex-wife and himself.
Femi stated that he met his wife through his cousin said: ‘I met her at a restaurant where I was playing jazz, at a place called ‘44’ in Ikoyi. She came with my cousin, Funmi Ransome-Kuti, they were in UNILAG together. She was so beautiful and she was looking at me, so I knew she likes me. So, I told my cousin to introduce me to her. That’s how we met.’
Femi who was spotted sitting next to Funke at ‘Femi Segun’s burial, said his son Made asked him to sit close to his mum: ‘ Human beings must fight. There must be misunderstanding sometimes. It is now left to us if we are matured enough to overcome these problems. To some people, breakup is so bitter that they end up hating each other. I manage to take my hatred and throw it away, and still respect her as a human being and the mother of my son, and most importantly for the love of my son who needs his mother. If she too understands that he needs his father then we must get rid of our misunderstanding. He was the one at the church who said ‘please sit beside my mother’; I had to oblige him.’ 
However, he doubted their coming back as husband and wife, but went further to say, ‘You never know what God has in plan for you. What if you say never and something just happens? If they told me she would leave my house one day, I would have said it is impossible. So, if she comes back one day, you never know what can happen. One sickness can hook you down and she might be the person by your bedside, what would happen?’

Femi admitted that it is not possible to throw 10 years relationship away, and he said  there are great, good and bad memories. He then recounts how he proposed to her. ‘ I just told her that ‘from today, we are boyfriend and girlfriend’. She said, ‘ha ha, what kind of love is this?’ I said, ‘when we have been calling ourselves every day, are we misleading ourselves? And it was on a Christmas Eve. I said to her ‘from today you are my girlfriend, if you have a boyfriend, get rid of him now because I must not see him when I get to your house’ and she laughed. That was how we started.’
Femi who is now 52, added that ‘Never say never! If you ask if I am happy right now, I am very happy not just with my relationship, I am also very happy with my children who are progressing, which is really my priority.’
.
Did you give Funke a ring, that ‘with this I thee wed’? Femi responded: ‘ No, she bought the ring.And you put it in her finger? Yes, in the registry.’


No comments: